Business Development Director
Business Development Director
Salary: £70,000 - £100,000 (dependent on experience) + performance bonus
Location: Tonbridge (Kent) or Aberdeen
Reporting to the Managing Director, and part of the senior management team, the BDD is accountable for securing increasing levels of orders in line with the growth of the company. The key tasks are to deliver the sales objectives of the business plan, manage the business development team, assess and report sales well, and be proactive in growing the business.
Strategic responsibilities include:
* Input to the companies business plan on how and where to grow their customers, and what additional engineering services to bring forward.
* Watch and report on the companies markets as to how their customers and competitors are positioned. Evaluate whether the companies strategies remain sound.
* Participate in the development of strategy across other areas of the business.
Management responsibilities include:
* Develop the annual sales forecast showing by customer what orders are expected and who is responsible for their delivery. Update this quarterly and feed the results into the financial forecast.
* Develop the annual sales plan. For each quarter, identify which clients to develop, which new clients to approach, and which prequals, tenders and call-off contracts the company will target.
* Manage your business development team, both your direct reports and the wider staff in contact with their customers, to follow the sales plan and process.
* Coach and train your team to be as effective as possible.
* Compile the sales report and present this at the monthly management meeting. Identify where things are going off track, or where new opportunities have arisen, and step in to drive the company forward.
* Recruit and line manage the business development managers and other sales support staff.
* Develop the sales systems and processes so that they work ever more efficiently and effectively.
* your existing contacts to develop business for the company
* Marketing with regard to customer communications and industry analysis.
* Operations with regard bid support and customer feedback.
* Central Services on contracts, finance and recruitment.
General responsibilities include:
* Grow and adapt with the role which will change as the company grows.
* Maintain a full understanding of the companies engineering services, including those available through partners and subcontractors.
The ideal candidate will be a "player-manager" - someone who has an engineering background and is now a manager and business developer.
* Competent user of MS Word, MS Outlook, MS Powerpoint and CRM databases
* Fluent speaker and writer of English
* Competent user of SalesLogix and MS Excel
* Degree or professional qualification
* Sufficient business experience to be credible to both the companies sales team and their clients
* 3 years of successful business development
* 2 years of successfully managing a team
* Either 2 years in subsea engineering, or an equivalent experience which will enable them to talk knowledgeably about subsea engineering
* Engineering or business degree
* Professional qualification in management, engineering, sales or marketing
* Has built relationships and expanded customer accounts
* Experience of improving a sales system
* Experience in subsea engineering
* Experience in a small to medium size enterprise
The right candidate will also demonstrate the following personal attributes:
* Can manage people
* Can plan and strategise
* Can assess and report
* Can decide and lead
* Good listener, articulate, assertive, sophisticated - comfortable in own skin
* Leader, persuasive, energetic - will herd and direct their sales force
* Logical, perceptive - you can trust conclusions and predictions
* Organised, and focused on tasks and deadlines - you can trust to pick up the balls and keep them in the air
* Basic salary £70,000 - £100,000 (dependent on experience)
* Discretionary bonus
* Basic 34 days' leave including bank holidays plus further days for 3+ years' service
* Up to 6% of basic salary as pension contribution
* Private health care (option to extend to spouses and children)
* Permanent health insurance
* Flexible working month (earn up to 12 days additional holiday per year)
* Flexible working hours
* Option to buy or sell up to 6 days of holiday per year
* Funded training
* Sponsorship of professional membership
* Group life insurance (4 x salary)
* Free parking (worth approximately £900 per year in based in Tonbridge)
* Relocation expenses (if applicable)
Job Type : Permanent
Location : Tonbridge
Salary : £70-100K
Date Advertised : 19 Feb 2013
Sorry, this position is no longer available.
Don't miss out again. Sign up for Jobs-by-Email and get the latest jobs direct to your inbox.